Autism Nexus - Positive Behaviour Support
This individualized program uses an empirically validated, functional - based approach to address challenging behaviours of children with autism spectrum disorder. Challenging behaviours for young children with autism can be reduced when provided with an alternative means for functional communication or an alternative response that serves the same function. In addition to teaching new communication and social skills, the behaviour support program will also include changes in social and ecological conditions that will support meaningful outcomes for children.
The results obtained from a functional assessment will be used to develop a behaviour support plan to prevent challenging behaviours from occurring, teaching the child new skills and including strategies to make sure that challenging behaviour is no longer effective for the child. The formulation of this plan will be done in collaboration with the family, affiliated professionals and implemented at home and at the service.
The behaviour support plan will include:
- hypothesis about the target behaviour
- a positively stated goal
- strategies for teaching appropriate behaviour
- changes that will be made in the environment to reduce or eliminate problem behaviour
- strategies to replace problem behaviour with appropriate behaviour that serves the same function for the child
- supports for the child to use appropriate behaviour
- strategies for dealing with problem behaviour
- crisis intervention procedures
- procedures for monitoring progress
Cost: $1000 for 8 sessions, including 4 home visits and 4 centre-based.
Staff: Special Education Teacher (Master of Special Education training)