St Vincent de Paul Society established St Anthony’s Home on the current site in Croydon, in 1923.
The following decades saw an increased need for suitable accommodation for children and expectant mothers during pregnancy. In response, new buildings were built on the Croydon site, including a chapel, mothercraft teaching facility for nurses, and a maternity hospital.
In 1952, the St Vincent de Paul Society handed over the site, including its services, to the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart. Over time the support needed for mothers declined and the Sisters of Saint Joseph took this opportunity to offer other services to the community. These services included a Special Preschool and Respite Services for children with disabilities, a community based long day care service, and emergency respite care program for children.
In 2004, St Anthony’s changed its name from St Anthony’s and St Joseph’s Centre of Care to St Anthony’s Family Care. This was an important step in recognising the need for comprehensive community based and family-focused services and building strong and healthy communities.
In 2019, after much consideration and consultation, St Anthony’s embarked on a major site development by demolishing existing buildings to construct new fit for purpose facilities. These facilities would support the organisation and the services it provides to people with disabilities and young families well into the future.
Brand-new, fully accessible facilities were complete in 2022 with the opening of St Anthony’s Family Care Village. The Village can provide childcare services, host disability programs and offer short term accommodation, as well as new administration facilities.